Saturday, April 22, 2017

Hot-Diggity-Dog!

We celebrated Griffin's 1st birthday with a fun Mickey Mouse party at the park. It was a HOT day and we all about melted, plus I forgot baseball season is in full swing, so we had them to contend with parking, but overall it was a fabulous day!

Things I didn't consider. Having one parent (and kid) leave early to set up (while smart) also meant I could not run and grab last minute things while baby napped. Which meant I had a VERY overly tired birthday boy at the park (who never misses his first nap). Which meant he was so not into presents and the cake. And the smashing of the cake is the whole reason for a first birthday, am I right?!

But, having the party at the park was a good idea in that my house stayed messy because I didn't have to clean it just to mess it up. Kids could run wild and I didn't have to plan games, which again works out for a 1 year old party. And we could spill away because everything went into big, metal trashcans in the end. And when the party was done, it was done.

Wes did ALL the decorating, because he was the parent that reserved the spot at the park and went early. I cannot say enough how impressed I was with what he did. Don't get me wrong, I have the best husband who always helps A TON, and always does whatever needs to be done, but I wasn't even there to give orders. It was all his creativity, and that is more rare. Although decorations were easy since my friend gave me all her leftover decorations from her 1 year old's Mickey party a few months ago... score!

It was such a great party, but I am glad it's over. I am not a party planner. I am definitely more of a party goer.

Check out Wes' decorating job... well done babe. (But, to give myself some credit, I did shop for some of it and have it boxed and ready for him).
 He also made this sign a few days before the event... we taped on the letters to reuse it for future events.
 His monthly pictures on display.
 All the food
 The sweet little birthday boy
 I did bring water balloons with the intent to do a water balloon toss. But, it mostly ended up being kids tossing them, they broke, and they got another to toss and break. They were happy, so it worked out juuuuuust fine.
 His smash-cake, which was not a smash.
 Like I said, he was waaaay tired and not into eating this thing.
 I tried giving him a little "feel" for it by putting his hand into it a bit to get him started. But the only thing that started was a fit. My bad. You would think I was such a mean mom forcing him to eat frosting.
 Once I handed him a fork he was way more into it.
 He even dug in a little.
 Until he remembered he was tired and done. (Actually, I think I started to throw his fork away once he used his hands and he was pissed).
 So we moved onto presents. He liked them, but was pretty done with the whole party scene by now.
 So I forced a family picture or two... and let him suck on his hands to keep him quiet.
We cleaned up and headed home where he took a 3+ hour nap and woke up happy again.

No comments: