Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Turkey Day '09

So, for Thanksgiving, as I mentioned in a previous post, we headed up to St. George to be with Wes' extended family. It is always a lot of fun, because we see cousins, aunts, and uncles that we don't see often there. Plus, it is a HUGE party, with usually like 40 people, give or take.

This year we headed up Monday. We planned on leaving bright and early, but after many delays finally got there around 11:15 pm. No traffic- thank goodness.

Tuesday: we hung out with Jaime and her kids, as well as Grandma and Grandpa Gubler and Fred and Sandie. One thing I have to say we look forward to most when we go up to St. George is the many food stops there, we don't have here. One of them is "The Burger Bar". Unfortunately, and to my utter dismay it closed down. But, we indulged in a place very similar, Marv's. Afterward, we spent the day napping, and shopping, and just hanging out.

Wednesday: Myself, Wes, Fred, Ashleigh and her friend Andy headed out and golfed at the St. George golf club. I must say I had the most fun I have ever had golfing there. Mostly because I was actually hitting the ball well. Glory moment was tying Weston on the first hole with a bogey. O don't worry he crushed me on every hole after that and I shot somewhere in the 120s... so I still suck! We got back and the rest of the family was arriving.



Thursday... TURKEY DAY!!!: The boy's had their annual basketball game, while we women folk sat on the side and watched, cheered and mostly talked. And, as always at least one of the "old guys" got hurt... luckily not my "old guy".

disclaimer: you are considered old if you are out of high school basically.


We came home and the feast began! The food was plentiful and as always delicious! And as always, we watched enough college football to reach my quota for the year. We also played some REALLY fun games, that came with excellent prizes.

The games.

Memory:


Pass the balloon through your knees, last person in line has to blow a bubble and then run to the front. 1 word my friends... hilarious!



Grandpa Gubler and his truck.


The group shot.



Some of the kids (with Amy's help) did a sweet poem reading.


Friday: We had to say good-bye to the Maryland Gubs... boo hoo. Then we headed out and played some laser tag and ate at Capriotti's... our favorite sandwich joint.


That night we headed over to the Tuacahn Theatre to see the live Nativity performance. Loved it! I loved all the Christmas decorations, the theatre, the background. And, I saw my first live Camel... and let me tell you, I had no idea how big those bad boys were. Wow! It was a fun night!



Saturday: Got up nice and early and headed to Zion National Park where we hiked Angels Landing. It was my first time, and I must admit I had nightmares the night before. But, in all honesty... not as bad as I expected. At least this time I did not hyperventilate. Remember this hike at Yosemite. <>

Zion was so beautiful too. The colors, weather, falling leaves... it makes me happy just thinking about it!



You can see where we are going here... to the top of that moutain!

In my humble opinion... the very first switchbacks were the worst... maybe it was the altitude that killed me?

Oh Walters Wiggles.

The Top!



The coolest part of all (besides the view of course) were these GINORMOUS Condors flying around right next to us. Condors, are an endangered species, which look like Vultures. They are ugly as spit, and freaked us out pretty good. But, it was awesome seeing them there.



BTW: Did I mention that a lady fell off and died on the way up Angels Landing the day before... this is a pretty trecherous hike.

To see pictures check it out here. Or to read a little on the hike go here.

(I tried to upload videos, but it isn't working).

We came back home, and ate pizza and watched the BYU vs Utah game. Half the family is for one team while the other half is for the other team. I took a 3 hour nap at this time. :)

That night we went and saw the movie Blindside, and ate at Cafe Rio. Loved, loved, loved the film. And, I highly recommend it.



We left Sunday morning and it took 10 hours to get home. BLAHHHH! It should take a little over 5. Needless to say, pulling into our driveway was very welcomed!

I hope everyone had as nice a Thanksgiving as we did.

5 comments:

Todd Family said...

well it looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!! BTW that's kind of freaky about Angels Landing. When we hiked that in May I always thought that would be the worse way to go! So sad!love love love Zions!!

Taryn said...

Can I just say how much I love your bangs?! You look so gorgeous in all of those pictures!

Karla said...

Seeing condors for real in the wild is so amazing! Just know that we're jealous. :)

Spence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spence said...

I came very close to going and hiking Angel's Landing that very same day. Wished I would have now - I was a little too nervous about the hyperventilation thing. I'm glad you had a great time.

We love St. George and are usually up there about once every 6 weeks or so. We are thinking about moving there sometime this next year.